Transferring Ownership of Real Property

Although we cannot give legal advice, we can provide you with the requirements to make a document transferring ownership or real property acceptable for recording. The two most common documents used to transfer ownership are the Grant Deed or Quit Claim Deed. Blank forms may be available at stationery stores and office supply stores that stock legal forms. Information and forms are also available at the Sacramento County Public Law Library located at 609 - 9th Street, First Floor, Sacramento, CA 95814, (916) 874-6012 or online.
When a document transferring ownership of real property is presented for recording we will look for the following information:
  • Name(s) of the Grantor(s). Also known as the Seller(s), old owners;
  • Name(s) of the Grantee(s). Also known as the Buyer(s), new owners;
  • Description/identification of real property located in Sacramento County, such as lot and tract or street address;
  • Assessor's Parcel Number;
  • Documentary transfer tax declaration
  • When recorded mail to" address;
  • Mailing address for future tax statements;
  • City where property located or unincorporated specified;
  • Signature(s) of grantor(s); and
  • Signature(s) of grantor(s) acknowledged by a notary public.
Additionally, a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (Form BOE-502-A) must accompany the document. This form is available free of charge from our office or via the Assessor's website. If this report is not presented at the time of recording, an additional recording fee of $20.00 will be assessed.

Refer to the fee schedule for information on document recording fees.

Mail your completed document, along with a check or money order made payable to the "Sacramento County Clerk/Recorder," to:
Sacramento County Recorder
P.O. Box 839
Sacramento, CA 95812-0839
To record in person, visit our downtown office at: 
600 8th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Same-day document recording hours are 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.